Monday, February 11, 2013

Day 10 - Mount Vernon

So for our tenth day of vacation, we went over to George Washington's home, Mount Vernon.  We hadn't even made it out of the parking lot before the kids found their first adventure of the day - squirrels.

The kids were munching on a breakfast snack of peaches in the stroller while Ken and I were unloading the car, when I hear a whispered voice calling me.  I turn around to see Nathaniel wide eyed and making the "shhhhh" sign and motioning me to come over to them.  So I quietly walked over to see this:

Super friendly squirrel

A little tiny squirrel trying to figure out to convince the kids to share their peaches.  And of course, the kids were all over this.  Nothing George Washington could offer them could possibly come close to feeding a squirrel peaches!

It wasn't this one squirrel that was over friendly - ALL the squirrels were.  I was glad we had made plans to eat at the Mount Vernon Inn for lunch instead of doing a picnic.  I'm pretty sure the squirrels would have joined us for lunch if we had.

After the squirrel grew bored with us, the children permitted us to go ahead to the Mount Vernon entrance!


While Ken bought tickets, we of course spent the time taking photos!


We bought the basic package with the audio tour because we had enjoyed the audio tour of Luray Caverns so much.  The audio tour cost $6 per audio device.  We got one for Ainsley, and one for Nathaniel. 

It was early in the day, and the movie "We Fight to be Free" was just about to start, so we piled into the mostly empty theater to watch the movie.  We all LOVED the movie.  It was very well done, and it was chuck full of action, which of course my boys loved. (Nothing gory or inappropriate).

Then we moved onto the mansion tour, which Felix once again caused me to leave early.  Ainsley volunteered to come with me, and so the 3 of us headed to George Washington's backyard.  I had a seat in one of the rocking chairs and I watched Ainsley and Felix play on the lawn.  I was a little nervous of them getting too close to the edge of the hill and falling Princess Bride style down into the river, but thankfully, that didn't happen!

Can you see the drop off of the hill behind them?
By the time we finished the movie and the mansion tour, we were actually starting to get hungry.  We also thought that since there were plenty of people around, we should get to lunch BEFORE the lunch crowd hit!  So we got to the Mount Vernon Inn just after 11, and waited for our table to be ready.  We had fun wandering around the gift shop area, looking at the different books, jewelry and toys while we waited.

I was glad we went early, because by the time our table was ready, we were STARVING!  I have no idea why we were so hungry that day!  We had breakfast and a snack before we started our tour, and yet, here it was, not even noon, and we felt like we hadn't eaten all day!

I don't have many pictures from inside the restaurant, because I didn't want to be the weird lady who takes a million pictures of her families food in a restaurant.  So here are the two pictures I have from our lunch.  The first one I did not take.  Ephraim took that picture. I would prefer to be the weird lady taking pictures of her food as opposed to the weird lady taking pictures of other people eating.

Ignore the people eating - cute place, right?

This is the only other picture we have from inside the restaurant.  :)  And I took that because I was hoping that maybe the people Ephraim took a picture of wouldn't have noticed and hopefully thought the flash was due to me taking pictures of my kids!



Lunch was really good and reasonably priced.  It wasn't super cheap, but it wasn't over priced either.  The only thing that was "overpriced" were the drinks.  And that was because they didn't have the normal Pepsi, Sprite etc. that most restaurants have for $1 or so.  They had more specialty drinks.  Some of us got the Sparkling Apple Cider, some of us had the root beer.  Both were VERY good.

For our meals, the 3 younger split the Chicken Fingers, chips and fruit.  My younger kids are very light eaters, so they usually split a kid's meal.  We figured if one wasn't enough, we could always add another.  But one was enough for them.

Nathaniel on the other hand, has switched from barely eating enough to keep a bird alive, to eating enough to feed a small army.  He saw a Pulled Pork Sandwich on the menu and asked if he could get that.  Someone near us had one, and I told him that I doubt he'd finish the whole thing, but Ken said he could order it, and take the leftovers home.  The kid seriously must have a hollow wooden leg somewhere, because he ate the ENTIRE thing, and finished off what I didn't finish on my plate!  So much for eating his leftovers later!!

I love Thanksgiving dinner, so I opted to go with the plantation chicken with stuffing and veggies.  The stuffing was very good, but I'm kind of spoiled when it comes to stuffing.  I make amazing stuffing.  So this was good, but mine is better.  :) All in all, mine was very good, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn't swiped a bite or twelve of Ken's meal.  He got the Duck and Sausage Cassolet.  It was amazing.  I wish I had ordered it!  But my hubby let me swipe a few bites because he loves me.  He was more than willing to save some room in his tummy for some Pecan Pie.  That is his favorite.  I'm a very good cook, but the Pecan Pie I have not mastered yet!  The rest of us were too full for dessert!  If you are interested, the lunch menu is here, the dinner menu is here, and the information on the restaurant is here. Obviously, we chose lunch for the prices!

After lunch, we started wandering around and listening to our audio tours.  My children's favorite area for the audio tour hands down was the slave quarter area. 

Listening to the audio tour


We enjoyed this audio tour, and it was very informative.  They had a kid and adult version like in Luray.

They also had many farm animals, which all children love!




After touring around, it started to drizzle, so we headed to the inside part of the museum.  There was a lot to take in, and the kids had fun in here.  There was a hands on children section that closes earlier than the rest of the museum, but thankfully we did get to spend a few minutes in there.

Nathaniel and Ainsley as George and Martha
My kids love cut outs!
Dress up!
There was a break in the rain, and less than an hour left before the museum closed, so we decided to make a run for the van and head home for the night. We had a fun day at Mount Vernon.  I'm not sure that it would be on the "must do" list with kids, but we did have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment